Assistant Teaching Professor at KFSCIS
Tiana Solis is an advocate for higher education, dedicated to promoting student access, success, and diversity in Engineering and Computing education. She transitioned back into teaching in 2019 from her previous position as the school’s Associate Director of Academic Advising. Besides teaching, Ms. Solis is the current faculty advisor for the Women in Cybersecurity Chapter at FIU, which she started in the Spring of 2017; among her interest is to expose women to different pathways in the computing field and serve as their mentors. She directed the S-STEM Florida IT Pathways to Success (Flit-Path) project at FIU between the Fall of 2016 and Spring of 2022, which helped 141 scholars. The program recruited, retained, and provided scholarships and curricular and co-curricular support to academically talented students with financial needs in the IT-related disciplines of Computer Science, Information Technology, and Computer Engineering at FIU, UCF, and USF. At the end of the project, 91% of the FIU participants graduated. The Flit-Path success landed the FIU team a new S-STEM Florida IT Graduation Attainment Pathways (Flit-Gap) project in Fall 2021, and Tiana is one of the Co-PIs. In all her work, Tiana is committed to fostering community and empowerment among students, focusing on supporting underrepresented groups in STEM fields. From 2013 to 2019, Tiana led the school’s advising team and created a one-stop space for students to facilitate their academic needs.
Before her full-time advising journey, Tiana was an where she taught different undergraduate computer science courses from 1994 to 2007. She was involved in various student services, including a mentor to FIU students participating in the Florida-Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (FGLSAMP) and Co-Advisor for the Women in Computer Science (WICS) student club.
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Mentor Award 2022, Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences, FIU.
- Institutional, Strategic, and Operational Excellence award 2018, College of Engineering and Computing, FIU
- Excellence in Advising award 2017- Advising Administrator Certificate of Merit, National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Staff Knowledge and achievement award 2015, College of Engineering and Computing, FIU.
- Excellence in advising Faculty award 2005, School of Computing and Information Sciences, FIU.